Windows 98 is not just Windows 95 plus Internet Explorer
4.0. There are about 11 major items that have been improved.
1. Smart Setup, Easy Upgrades: The retail version of Windows
98 will include three years?worth of patches, bug fixes, updated drivers
and enhanced features on one CD.
2. Better Crash Protection: The most noteworthy Windows 98 improvement
in the stability category is the completely rewritten System Information
utility. By gathering information from the Registry, from startup files
and from running applications, it presents a complete picture of the current
3. Better Storage Management: At a nickel per megabyte, the disk
space you’ll recover by converting a typical 2GB drive to the FAT32 format
will pay for a major chunk of the Windows 98 upgrade cost.
4. Slightly Faster Performance: Most of Win98’s core components
have been fine-tuned for performance: The swap file manages itself more
intelligently. A built-in Registry Checker compacts the system Registry
when needed. The memory management and cache modules are tuned to work
optimally with FAT32’s 4K clusters.
5. Better Startup: Windows 98 is far more helpful than Windows
95 when you have startup problems. A corrupt hardware driver can still
keep your system from booting -- but only once thanks to the Automatic
Skip Driver agent.
6. Notebook Power Consumption Control: Windows 98 gives you total
control over your notebook’s power consumption, and if your system is less
than a year old you’ll experience major benefits by upgrading.
7. Dual-Monitor Support: Windows 98 now supports 2 video cards
to display different screen at 2 different monitors ! Imagine one
screen displays one document and the other screen displays another presentation
page. The impact on games will also be interesting.
8. Better Phone Control: Look in the Windows 98 Control Panel
and you’ll find a Telephony icon, packed with nifty features designed to
help your PC get along better with the telephone network.
9. Web TV Support: :Microsoft is integrating Web TV into Windows
98. Web TV for Windows works with the Windows Task Scheduler, allowing
you to set reminders for shows you want to record.
10. Plug and Play Works (Finally): Plug and Play is still imperfect,
but it works much, much better in Windows 98 than ever before.
11. Troubleshooting Wizards Windows 98 includes 15 built-in,
Troubleshooting Wizards. These Wizards walk you through a series of questions
and give you step-by-step procedures designed to solve both simple and
advanced technical issues. The Troubleshooting Wizards included in Windows
98 address a variety of areas, such as
Networking, Modems, Printing, Memory, Hardware Conflicts, and PC Cards.
ALL DOCUMENTS CONTAINED IN THESE PAGES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITH NO
WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY,
NONINFRINGEMENT, FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ANY WARRANTY OTHERWISE
ARISING OUT OF ANY PROPOSAL, SPECIFICATION OR SAMPLE. J.D.Research disclaims
all liability, including liability for infringement of any proprietary
rights, relating to use of information in this specification. No license,
express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, to any intellectual property
rights is granted herein.